International Students Seeking Conditional Admission
International applicants who meet all academic and financial requirements for admission to NDSU but not minimum English proficiency may be eligible for conditional admission. The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) at NDSU is designed to help non-native speakers achieve English proficiency and will help to prepare students for full-time, university-level coursework.
The online application for admission and all required materials must be received by NDSU by the deadlines posted below.
|Fall Semester (August – December)||Spring Semester (January – May)|
| Students outside the United States – May 1
Students inside the United States – August 1
|Students outside the United States – October 1
Students inside the United States – December 1
Conditional Admission Requirements
Applications are evaluated on an individual basis. The university uses selective admission criteria in order to assure adequate preparation, which will enable students to be successful in their academic pursuits. NDSU reviews the following criteria.
- Academics – All applicants should have a secondary school educational background in the core curriculum of laboratory science, mathematics, social science and English to be considered for admission. Post-secondary coursework is also reviewed. A secondary or high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (4.0 scale) or the equivalent in core subjects, is recommended. Students who do not meet these minimum guidelines will still be considered for admission if there is evidence in the student's academic record that demonstrates a high probability of success.
- English Proficiency – All applicants must demonstrate English proficiency for admission consideration (see Conditional Admission Procedures below).
- Financial Support – All applicants must submit official documents as evidence of financial support showing available funds equivalent to estimated annual costs for one year of attendance.
Conditional Admission Procedures
To be considered for admission, you must submit the following documentation.
- Online Application for Admission – You will need your NDSU Insider Username and Password, or you can create a new account.
- Nonrefundable application fee – The $35 fee can be paid online at the time you apply or paid online at a later date. An admission decision is not made until the fee is paid.
Official academic records for all institutions attended and national exams completed –Required documentation is based on the following:
- U.S. institution – request official transcript(s) be sent directly to the NDSU Office of Admission from your institution
- Non-U.S. institution – apply for an official World Education Services (WES) evaluation report. Review the steps to request this report.
- English test scores – All applicants must submit an official test score or completion report meeting one of the posted levels (see chart below). All test scores are valid for two years and score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admission.
TOEFL (school code 6474) 50 IBT or 468 PBT IELTS 5.5 Overall Pearson's (PTE) Academic 42 ELS Language Center Level 106 completion
Note: If you have completed four or more terms of full-time academic study in the United States, English test scores are not required.
- Copy of official financial documentation – Documentation from a bank official or sponsoring government showing available funds equivalent to IELP estimated annual costs for one year of attendance must be provided. Please refer to acceptable forms for a detailed list of requirements.
2018-2019 IELP ESTIMATED COST S
IELP Tuition $13,828 University Student Fees $1,515 New Student and Orientation Fees $195 Housing & Meal Plan (9 months) $8,824 Health Insurance $1,748 Books and Supplies $800 Total Expenses $26,610
- Copy of passport and other immigration documents, if applicable.
Send all materials to:
Postal Mail Courier/Express/Priority Mail Office of Admission
North Dakota State University
Dept. 2832 - P.O. Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108 USA
Office of Admission
North Dakota State University
1301 Administration Avenue
Ceres Hall 114
Fargo, ND 58102 USA