While the preference is to have students film their dissertation video on campus in the Quentin Burdick Building, we recognize that some doctoral students may leave NDSU prior to finishing the degree requirements and will need an alternative way to film their video. If you plan to return to campus prior to completing your degree (e.g., for your final examination), please follow the instructions on how to schedule a filming appointment. Otherwise there is another option outlined below. Prior to filming your video please review the Doctoral Dissertation Video instructions.
- Use a video camera that records in a digital format (MP4 or MOV preferred) to record your video. Use a solid color background free of any/all extraneous objects (e.g., hang a solid color sheet or blanket up behind you or film in front of a wall).
- Ask someone to sit across from you while you speak. It will help you have a more natural, conversational tone (if possible, have the camera on a tripod or table rather than having a friend hold it; this will keep the image stable).
- Confirm your final product is around 3 minutes and that the audio is clear.
To Submit the Video and Paperwork
- Save the video, your dissertation prescheduling form, a one slide graphic if you choose to have one, and a release form (optional) in Google Drive folder and share that folder with Dan Nygard (email@example.com)
- If you have signed a release to have your video housed in the Library Institutional Library, ITS will edit your video, including adding the slide to it, and creating the opening and closing slides so that it is the same format at the other videos housed in the Institutional Repository.
- To access Google Drive, log into Google Drive using your ndsu.edu email address (that’s NDSU, not NDUS) and you will be in your NDSU Google apps account. All NDSU faculty, students and staff have one. This gives you access to Google Drive and other apps (not Gmail or Google Calendar, as they are disabled since NDSU uses Microsoft for our email & calendar).
- A recording of the required preparatory workshop may be found here:
- Please watch this workshop in its entirety to help you understand the format and structure of the video. Leave enough time between watching the workshop and filming the video to allow you to practice with friends and family members.