Student Employment

Student Employment

There are many great job opportunities at NDSU and in the surrounding community for both Work-Study and non-Work-Study students. NDSU works with departments, local non-profit organizations, and local businesses to list employment opportunities for students on the Handshake Job and Internship Board. NDSU’s Career and Advising Center also provides additional listings for co-op, internships, and full-time employment opportunities.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a student aid program which provides funding to support part-time employment opportunities (on and off campus) for eligible students. Awards are a form of financial aid which helps pay a percentage of the hourly wages earned. You are encouraged to seek jobs that relate to your course of study. We also encourage students to work in community service positions whenever possible.

Note: The money earned is paid to you in the form of a paycheck. It is not applied to your student account. You choose how to use the money you earn; and, it is money you do not have to pay back.

In order to be considered for Federal Work-Study (FWS), students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. FWS is a "need-based program" which means you must have demonstrated financial need. This is determined by the information provided on the FAFSA. All students who are eligible may not be awarded FWS funding due to overall budget limitations.

To be eligible to receive a work-study award, students must:
Applying for Work-Study Jobs

Federal Work-Study (FWS) positions can be found on the Handshake Job and Internship Board. Once you find a position that interests you, simply apply using the directions listed in the job posting. When meeting with a potential FWS employer, you must bring a copy of your financial aid award letter. To locate your award information:

  1. Log in to Campus Connection
    • If you do not know your User ID or Password, call the NDUS Help Desk at 1-866-457-6387, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  2. From the Student Homepage, click the Financial Aid tile
  3. Click Awards on the left side bar
  4. Click Summary under the Awards header on the left side bar
  5. Print that screen
Annual Training Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions

I didn't receive a Federal Work-Study Award. Is it too late to apply for one?

Students may be added to the Federal Work-Study (FWS) waiting list by contacting NDSU One Stop at (701) 231-6200 or (866) 924-8969. The waiting list is reviewed monthly after the beginning of fall term and awards may be added for eligible students if funds are available. You will be notified by the FWS Coordinator if you have received an award.

Does having a Federal Work-Study award guarantee I will have a job?

Accepting the Federal Work-Study funds you are offered is just the first step. In order to receive those funds, you need to earn them, which means you need to start by finding a work-study job. While some schools may match students to jobs, at NDSU you can review available positions and interview for the ones best suited to your interests and academic schedule. Work-Study is just like any other job. It is important that if you have been awarded work-study and you are having a difficult time locating a job, that you contact the financial aid office for assistance.

Are there positions where I can study and do my homework?

No. While the name "Work-Study" does imply working and studying, you are being paid to work. A few positions may have you watching the front desk or answering phones when needed, and you may have time to study and do homework. However, it has been strongly recommended and encouraged that all employers provide their Federal Work-Study students more responsibility and work to do while they are on-the-job.

Can I work two Federal Work-Study positions at the same time?

No. Students may only work one Federal Work-Study (FWS) position at a time. You may certainly work another position elsewhere, but it should not be under FWS funding.

Can I still use my Federal Work-Study award if there is a hold on my student account?

No. All holds must be lifted before you can begin using your Federal Work-Study award.

What type of documentation do I need to complete to be hired?

Because student employees are considered University employees, you'll need to complete documents required by the NDSU Payroll office. For instance, NDSU requires all students complete an I-9 and verify that you're eligible to work in the United States by providing proof of identification and previous employment. You can find more information about the required documentation and hiring process on the USCIS I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification website.

What is the wage rate, and how many hours can I work?

Hourly wage and number of hours worked vary depending on the employer and the position. Wage rates must be equal to or exceed minimum wage. Students may work up to 20 hours per week while in a Federal Work-Study position.

Can I earn more than my Federal Work-Study award?

No. Students cannot continue using Federal Work-Study (FWS) funding once they have reached their total award amount. Employers may request an increase in their FWS student’s award, but there is no guarantee that the award will be increased. Increases are based on available funds and student eligibility. You may continue working for the same employer; however, the employer becomes responsible for 100% of the hourly earnings once the Work-Study award amount has been paid out.

If I do not use all of the Federal Work-Study award, can the remaining balance be transferred into the summer term or next academic year?

No. Remaining balances on awards will be lost once the current academic school year is over. Federal Work-Study funding is not available during the summer term.